We came across this recipe, from San Francisco chef and restaurateur Reed Hearon, while putting together the very first SAVEUR 100 issue in January 1999.
- 4 artichokes, cleaned, halved, and boiled
- 4 lemons, boiled and cut in half
- 4 spring onions, boiled
- 8 new potatoes, boiled, peeled, and halved
- 1 fennel bulb, boiled and quartered
- 1 handful parsley sprigs
- 1⁄2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Combine artichokes, lemons, onions, potatoes, fennel, and parsley in a large bowl. Squeeze juice from 4 of the lemon halves into bowl, then discard rinds.
Add oil, season to taste with salt and pepper, and toss lightly.