When it comes to a sumptuous, satisfying breakfast, few things match the perfection of a crisp waffle.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together into a large mixing bowl.
- Beat egg yolks in a small mixing bowl and add buttermilk and butter. Add to flour mixture, stirring until just combined.
- Beat egg whites in a medium mixing bowl until stiff and fold into flour mixture. Batter will be airy.
- Spread batter over three-quarters of the surface of a hot, lightly greased waffle iron, close lid, and cook until brown and crisp, about 5 minutes. Serve with plenty of butter and maple syrup.