At Martha Lou’s Kitchen, earthy collard greens and sweet cabbage are steamed together for this unique spin on the Southern side of greens. This recipe first appeared in our May 2011 issue, with the article Specialty of the House.
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 6 oz. slab bacon, cut into 1″ slices
- 1 large yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 lb. collard greens, stalks removed and roughly chopped
- 1 large head cabbage (about 2 3/4 lbs.), cored and roughly chopped
- Kosher salt, freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Crushed red chile flakes, to taste
- Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium heat and add bacon; cook, stirring, until fat renders, about 6 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken stock, then collards and cabbage; season with salt, pepper, and chile flakes. Cook, covered and stirring, until collards and cabbage are tender, about 25 minutes. Remove lid and continue cooking until liquid is reduced in volume, about 5 minutes.