Traditional recipes for tartar sauce use homemade mayonnaise, but high-quality store-bought mayo yields good results, too.
- 3 cornichons or gherkins
- 2-3 tsp. nonpareil capers
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tsp. pickling brine from jar of cornichons
- 1 tsp. pickling brine from jar of capers
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, white or black
- Finely chop cornichons or gherkins and transfer to a medium mixing bowl. Chop nonpareil capers and add to bowl with cornichons.
- Add mayonnaise, lemon juice, and pickling brine from cornichons and capers. Mix with a wooden spoon until well-blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Adjust seasonings with a little more mayonnaise, lemon juice, or either of the pickling brines, if you like.