Cherry & Herb Salad
This sweet-tart cherry, cilantro, and walnut salad, chef Erez Komarovsky’s riff on a classic Turkish recipe, is delicious on its own, or as a relish for grilled meats or fish. This recipe first appeared in our May 2013 issue with Gabriella Gershenson’s article The Promised Land.
- 2 red Holland chiles
- 1 lb. fresh dark pitted cherries
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 cup walnut halves, toasted and roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. pomegranate molasses
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
- Heat oven broiler to high. Place chiles on a baking sheet; broil, turning as needed, until charred and tender, 4-5 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; let sit 5 minutes. Discard stems, skin, and seeds from chiles; finely chop and transfer to a bowl. Add cherries, cilantro, walnuts, oil, molasses, juice, salt, and pepper; toss to combine. Serve chilled or at room temperature.