Chickpea and Lentil Salad with Feta, Cilantro, and Onions
Chef April Bloomfield, of The Spotted Pig in New York City, turns a satisfying combination of chickpeas and lentils into a creamy salad with the addition of tangy feta.
Yield: serves 4
For the Cooked Lentils
- 2 cups lentils
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 sprig sage
- 1 red chile
- Salt, to taste
For the Salad
- 2 cans good quality cooked chickpeas, rinsed
- 2 cups cooked lentils (see step 1)
- 1 Tbsp. toasted ground cumin
- Maldon salt, to taste
- 3 tbsp. tahini
- 3 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 fresh lemon, juiced
- 1 bunch picked cilantro
- 1 medium red onion sliced thin
- 4 oz. goat milk feta
- For the lentils: Rinse lentils, place in just enough cold water to cover, and cook evenly, stirring occasionally. Add garlic, sage, and red chile. Cook until just tender; do not boil. Cool in liquid and then season with salt.
- For the salad: Combine rinsed chickpeas, Cooked Lentils, cumin, salt, tahini, olive oil, and half of the lemon juice. Toss gently, being careful not to crush chickpeas and making sure not to remove skins.
- In a separate bowl, combine cilantro and sliced red onion. Dress with remaining fresh lemon juice, salt, and olive oil.
- Present lentils and chickpeas in a bowl topped with cilantro and onion mixture. Sprinkle with crumbled feta and drizzle with olive oil to serve.
MORE TO READ
Sweet Caraway Scones with Salted Butter and Figs
An unexpected trio of ingredients sings in harmony in this simple fruit pastry.
Roasted Heart of Palm with Romesco Sauce
Toasted almonds elevate the nuttiness of this delicate vegetable.