This fruity-spicy southeast Mexico staple is ideal on enchiladas or huevos rancheros.
Chiltomate (Tomato and Habanero Salsa)
Chiltomato is fruity-spicy southeast Mexican salsa of tomatoes and chiles that is ideal on enchiladas or huevos rancheros.
Yield: makes ABOUT 2 CUPS
- 1 1⁄2 lb. tomatoes, cored
- 1 habanero chile, stemmed
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 small white onion, minced
- Heat oven to 500°. Place tomatoes and chile on a foil-lined baking sheet, and roast, without turning, until chile is browned in spots, about 10 minutes; transfer chile to a blender, and continue roasting tomatoes until blackened and cooked through, about 20 minutes more. Let tomatoes cool and then peel and place in blender along with salt and garlic; puree until smooth.
- Heat oil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat; add onions and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add purée, and bring to a simmer; cook, uncovered and stirring often, about 10 minutes. Let cool.