Cold Pea and Basil Soup
This recipe is excerpted from My Father’s Daughter: Delicious, Easy Recipes Celebrating Family & Togetherness by Gwyneth Paltrow. Copyright (C) by Gwyneth Paltrow. Excerpted by permission of Grand Central Life & Style.
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small or 1 large yellow onion, peeled and finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 4 cups frozen peas
- 1 qt. vegetable stock
- 12 fresh large basil leaves, 10 whole, 2 finely sliced for serving
- Coarse salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Sour cream or your best, highest-quality olive oil, for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a small soup pot over medium heat, add the onion, and cook until soft, about 10 minutes. Add the peas and stock, bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the whole basil leaves and salt and pepper to taste. Let the soup cool and then whiz in a blender until smooth. Cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. Serve garnished with a spoonful of sour cream and the finely sliced basil.