Cottage Street Bakery “Dirt Bombs”
The crust of these muffin-like donuts, a specialty of Cottage Street Bakery in Orleans, Massachusetts, is achieved by double dipping them in melted butter and cinnamon sugar.
- 4 1⁄2 cups unsalted butter, softened, plus more for greasing
- 3 cups (13 1/2 oz.) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 tsp. ground cardamom
- 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. ground cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400°. Grease three 6-cup muffin tins with butter; set aside. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cardamom in a bowl; set aside. Using a hand mixer, beat 12 tbsp. butter and 1 cup sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Alternate adding dry ingredients in 3 batches and milk in 2 batches; beat until batter is smooth. Spoon about 1⁄4 cup batter into prepared muffin tins; bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into donut comes out clean, 15-20 minutes. Invert donuts onto a baking sheet with a wire rack; let cool completely.
- Melt remaining butter in a bowl; in another bowl mix remaining sugar and the cinnamon. Working one at a time, dip entire donut in butter and roll in the cinnamon sugar. Repeat dipping and rolling; return to wire rack until crust is set.