Cowboy Caviar (Black-Eyed Pea and Hominy Salad)
A lime juice and spicy Sriracha marinade gives this summer side dish a zesty kick. This recipe first appeared in our August/September 2013 Heartland issue with the story Big Pie Country.
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp. Sriracha hot sauce
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. honey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 plum tomatoes, cored and finely chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 (15.5-oz.) cans black-eyed peas, drained
- 1 (15.5-oz.) can golden hominy, drained
- 1⁄3 cup finely chopped cilantro, leaves and stems
- Whisk lime juice, oil, Sriracha, honey, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add garlic, tomatoes, peppers, onion, peas, and hominy; toss to combine. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to overnight. Stir in cilantro before serving.