David Wondrich’s Rum Punch
The alcoholic fruit drink we know as punch is an Indian invention that was adopted in the 1600s by British sailors, who later introduced it to the Caribbean islands, where it flourished.
- 2 cups strong black tea (hot)
- 1⁄2 cup demerara sugar
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 cups aged rum (rhum vieux)
- Fresh nutmeg
- Fill a medium freezerproof bowl with water; freeze.
- Mix hot tea and sugar, stirring until sugar is dissolved; refrigerate to let cool. Once the tea mixture is cool, add lime juice and rum. Stir well; refrigerate until ready to use.
- About 30 minutes before serving, loosen ice from bowl and transfer to a punch bowl. Pour punch over ice and top with a generous grating of nutmeg.