Yucatecan Pickled Red Onions (Escabeche De Cebolla)
Red onions soak up the flavors of oregano and cumin in this classic pickle relish, served with fresh seafood in Yucatan, Mexico.
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine vinegar
- In a bowl, toss salt and onion together; let sit until onion releases some of its liquid, about 15 minutes. Transfer to jar along with peppercorns, oregano, cumin, and garlic, and pour over vinegar; seal with lid. Refrigerate at least 4 hours before using.
Correction: October 26, 2011 — An earlier version of this recipe stated that the vinegar should cool to room temperature. However, because the liquid is not heated, we have removed that instruction.