Fresh Peas With Lettuce and Green Garlic
This side dish from Andrea Reusing’s Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes (Clarkson Potter, 2011) is the essence of spring and summer: emerald green vegetables cooked together briefly until their flavors just meld. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2011 BBQ issue along with Helen Rosner’s story Fresh Pleasures.
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 5 small stalks green garlic, thinly sliced, or 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh or frozen green peas
- 2 small heads butter lettuce (about 6 oz.), washed, cored, and torn into large pieces
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat 2 tbsp. butter in a 12″ skillet over medium heat; add garlic, season with salt, and cook, stirring often, until soft but not browned, about 3 minutes. Add peas and cook until bright green and tender, about 4 minutes. Stir in remaining butter, along with lettuce and 1 tbsp. water, season with salt and pepper, and remove from heat. Stir until lettuce is just wilted, about 1 minute.