Crunchy on the outside, soft and creamy on the inside—this is eggplant at its best.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups white wine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium eggplants, thinly sliced into rounds
- Vegetable oil
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- Place flour in a shallow bowl. Whisk wine into flour, beating until batter is smooth and the consistency of thin pancake batter, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 200°. Salt or freeze eggplant slices to lessen bitterness and remove excess moisture. Pour oil into a heavy skillet to a depth of 2″. Heat oil to 375° or until it sizzles when you drop in a little batter. (If oil isn’t hot enough, eggplant will absorb too much of it.)
- Dip eggplant slices in batter, then drop into oil—as many at a time as you can without crowding the pan. Fry until golden, cooking on both sides, then drain on paper towels. Keep fried slices warm in oven.
- When all eggplant slices are cooked, season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with a squeeze of fresh lemon.