Grilled Oysters Wrapped in Alaria Seaweed
Alaria seaweed (Alaria marginata), similar to wakame, is found from Alaska to central California. When making this appetizer with dried alaria, soak the fronds in water for 15-20 minutes in order to rehydrate them. Fresh alaria comes packed in salt, which must simply be rinsed off.
- 12 medium West Coast oysters
- 12 (1″ × 5″) strips from 1 frond of fresh or rehydrated dried alaria
- Tabasco sauce
- Preheat a grill to medium. Shuck oysters and transfer them to a small bowl, reserving shells. Scrub and rinse shells. Set aside.
- Wrap 1 strip of seaweed around each oyster, then return each oyster to its shell. Put oysters (in their shells) on grill and cook, without turning, until just steaming, about 5 minutes.
- Arrange oysters on a serving platter and top each with a dash or two of Tabasco sauce. Serve oysters hot or chilled.