Grilled Oysters with Butter Sauce (Huîtres Grillées au Beurre Blanc)
Grill these oysters over grapevine cuttings if you can get them.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 1 shallot, peeled and minced
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 8 tbsp. cold butter
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh chervil
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh chives
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 12 unshucked oysters
- Preheat a grill. Put shallot and wine into a small saucepan and simmer over medium heat until reduced by half, 6–8 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Whisk in butter, 1 tbsp. at a time. Return pan briefly to lowest heat if sauce cools too much as you add the butter. Whisk in chervil, chives, and parsley and add salt to taste.
- Grill oysters flat side up over hot coals until shells gape, 3–5 minutes. Discard any oysters that don't open. Pry off top shells, keeping oyster liquor (juices) from spilling, and cut lower muscles to release flesh. Arrange oysters in their shells on a platter. Spoon some sauce over each.