Kumquat Rose Cocktail
A recipe for kumquat-infused gin from Matt Lee and Ted Lee’s cookbook The Lee Bros. Charleston Kitchen inspired this cocktail: the kumquat’s sweet-tart flavor is perfectly balanced by the herbaceous complexity of Lillet Rose.
For the Kumquat-Infused Gin
- 1 1⁄2 lb. kumquats, thinly sliced and juices reserved
- 1 (750-ml) bottle dry gin
- 1 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt
For the Cocktail
- 1 oz. Lillet Rose
- 2 oz. kumquat-infused gin
- 3 slices kumquat from the infusion, for garnish
- Make the kumquat-infused gin: Combine kumquats, gin, and salt in a sterilized 2-qt. glass jar. Seal with a tight fitting lid; let sit in a cool, dark spot for at least 24 hours or up to 2 weeks (the flavor will intensify over time). To use, strain what you need and use the sliced kumquats for garnish.
- Combine 2 oz. kumquat-infused gin and Lillet Rose in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously and strain into a martini glass or coupe; garnish with kumquat slices.