Libby's Bread and Butter Pickles
SAVEUR kitchen intern Libby Redmond makes these pickles with her mother, Celia, at their home in Napier, New Zealand.
Yield: makes About 5 Cups
- 3 kirby cucumbers (about 1 lb.), trimmed and thickly sliced
- 1 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups white wine vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 tsp. celery seeds
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground turmeric
- Put cucumbers, onions, and salt into a large bowl and toss well. Add 3 cups ice cubes, cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain cucumbers and onions well, discarding the salty water; set aside. Put vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, and turmeric into a large pot, stir well, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the cucumber–onion mixture and stir well. Allow liquid to return just to a boil, then remove pot from heat. Transfer pickles and their liquid to a large, clean plastic container. Set aside to let cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Serve pickles the next day or store for up to 1 week.