These stewed pinto beans can be eaten with tortillas for a light meal, or as a side dish for many savory foods.
- 1 lb. dried pinto beans
- 1⁄2 small white onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp. lard or canola oil
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Crema (available at mexgrocer.com) or sour cream, for garnish
- 1 cup shredded queso Oaxaca (available at mexgrocer.com) or mozzarella
- Blistered serrano chiles, for serving
- Warm tortillas, for serving
Bring beans, onion, lard, and 10 cups warm water to a boil in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, covered and stirring occasionally, until beans are just tender and begin to split open, about 2 hours. Add salt, and continue cooking, mashing some of the beans in the pot as they cook, until beans are completely soft, about 30 minutes more.
To serve, ladle beans into serving bowls and garnish with a spoonful of crema and some of the cheese. Serve with chiles and tortillas.