If you plan to take these doughnuts on a hike or to a picnic, be sure to allow them to cool completely before you pack them so that they don’t become soggy.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 eggs
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 Tbsp. honey (heaping tbsp.)
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil plus more for frying
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Sift flour and baking powder together into a medium bowl and set aside. Put granulated sugar, yogurt, eggs, lemon juice, honey, and 1 tbsp. of the oil into another medium bowl and whisk until smooth. Gradually add the flour mixture to the yogurt mixture, beating with a wooden spoon until batter is smooth. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until batter is chilled, 30-60 minutes.
- Pour oil into a wide medium heavy-bottomed pot to a depth of 2″ and heat over medium heat until temperature reaches 325° on a candy thermometer. Working in batches to avoid crowding with the pot, carfully spoon a scant 1⁄4 cup of the batter into hot oil and fry, turning occasionally, until doughnuts are deep golden brown all over and cooked through, 5-7 minutes per batch. Transfer doughnuts with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Dust with confectioners’ sugar while still hot.