Open-Face Avocado and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
Tangy, buttery, smoky, and salty—this sandwich has it all.
Yield: serves 6
- 3 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. soft goat cheese
- 1⁄8 tsp. finely ground black pepper
- 4 ripe avocados, such as hass, gwen, or bacon
- 6 small baguettes, halved and lightly toasted
- Tomato slices
- Cucumber slices
- Put 1 tbsp. of the lemon juice, cracked black pepper, and salt to taste into a bowl; stir well. While whisking constantly, drizzle in olive oil to form a dressing; set aside.
- Put goat cheese, remaining 2 tbsp. of lemon juice, finely ground black pepper, the flesh from the avocados, and a few dashes of Tabasco into a bowl. Lightly mash with a fork; season with salt to taste.
- Divide avocado mixture between the 12 baguette halves and spread to cover each. Transfer baguettes to baking sheet and broil until just warmed through, 1–2 minutes. Top the baguette halves with tomato and cucumber slices, in any arrangement you wish. Drizzle some of the cracked pepper dressing onto each. Serve immediately.