Traditionally associated with Easter, this cheese bread from Paraguay has a dense chewy texture similar to the classic wheat bialys New Yorkers are so fond of. This recipe was shared with us by Judy Haubert, who learned how to make it from a Paraguayan friend.
Note: Also called "cassava" or "manioc," yucca flour or starch can be found in many South American, African, Caribbean and Southeast Asian specialty markets.
- 2 1⁄2 cups yucca flour (see note), plus extra for rolling
- 1 cup corn meal, plus extra for dusting
- 1⁄2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 tbsp. anise seeds, lightly toasted
- 3⁄4 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan
- 1⁄3 cup crumbled feta
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar
- Flake sea salt, to garnish