Allow this chutney, which we serve with poultry to rich roasts, to ripen in the fridge for up to four weeks; it improves with age.
- 1 cup dried currants
- 6 tbsp. pear brandy
- 4 bosc pears, cored and cut into ½” pieces
- 2 ribs celery, cut into ¼” pieces
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 – 1⁄2 cups fresh lemon juice
- 1 (3″–3 ½”) piece ginger, peeled and grated
- Pinch cayenne
- Put currants and brandy into a medium saucepan and simmer over medium heat until currants are plump and have absorbed most of the liquor, about 7 minutes. Add pears, celery, sugar, lemon juice, ginger, and cayenne and stir well. Return to a simmer, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until pears are very soft and translucent and juices are thick and syrupy, about 1 hour.
- Put chutney into a clean jar with a tight-fitting lid; set aside to let cool. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve at room temperature.