Refreshing molded salads like this one were wildly popular when a version of this recipe was first published, in Knox Gelatine: Dainty Dishes for Dainty People (Knox, 1931). Serve the dish in slices as a side for grilled meats or salmon.
- 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cups rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. unflavored powdered gelatin, softened in 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 2 jarred pimentos, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and minced
- Canola oil, for greasing
Stir together sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, gelatin, and salt in a small saucepan over medium heat until gelatin dissolves; chill 30 minutes. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Grease a 12" x 4" x 2 1⁄2 " loaf pan and transfer gelatin mixture to mold. Chill until set, about 6 hours.
To release salad from mold, slide a knife along the edge of the mold; set mold in a bowl of hot water for 5 seconds. Invert salad onto a serving dish.