There are as many variations on pimento cheese as there are opinionated southern cooks. Worcestershire sauce, green olives, even water chestnuts are just some possible additions. This version (cream cheese lends it a pleasantly light consistency) comes from Doris Kemp, owner of Mammy’s Cupboard in Natchez, Mississippi. Eat it in a sandwich, or spread it on crackers.
- 1 lb. sharp yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 (8-oz.) jar diced, drained pimentos
- 1 (8-oz.) package cream cheese
- 3⁄4 cup Duke’s mayonnaise
- 2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1⁄4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Grate cheese into the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a paddle. Add pimentos, cream cheese, mayonnaise, garlic salt, and cayenne pepper (or to taste). Beat on medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute.