Salsa de Tomatillo en Molcajete (Roasted Tomatillo and Serrano Salsa)
This earthy roasted salsa is traditionally pounded to a smooth paste in a molcajete, but a food processor works just as well.
Yield: makes About 1 Cup
- 1 lb. tomatillos, husked and rinsed
- 4 serrano chiles, stemmed
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp. minced white onion
- 2 1⁄2 tsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Position an oven rack 4" from broiler; heat to high. Place tomatillos, chiles, and garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet and broil, turning often, until blackened in spots and cooked through, about 10 minutes for the garlic and chiles, and 15 minutes for the tomatillos; remove each ingredient as it finishes cooking.
- Place roasted chiles, garlic, and salt in a food processor and puree until smooth; add tomatillos, cilantro, onion, and lime juice. Pulse until roughly chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in oil.