This soup can be cooked beneath the barbacoa recipe in a bullet smoker, much like Tia Adelita, the Los Angeles-area cook who gave us this recipe, prepares hers. This recipe first appeared in our June/July 2011 BBQ issue along with Molly O’Neill’s story Sunday After Church.
- 2 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 tsp. dried Mexican Oregano
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 large tomatoes, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 lb. dried chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 dried ancho chiles
- Heat oil in an 8-qt. Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oregano, garlic, onions, and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes. Add tomatoes, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add chickpeas, stock, and chiles, and bring to a boil; reduce heat to maintain a simmer, and cook, stirring, until chickpeas are tender, about 1 1⁄2 hours. (Alternatively, place pot on bottom grate of a bullet smoker, underneath the lamb, and cook until chickpeas are tender, 4–6 hours.) Season with salt and pepper, and serve soup alongside barbacoa.