Bright and citrusy, this drink is associated with Christmastime in Jamaica, but it’s refreshing on any morning. This recipe first appeared in our November 2011 issue along with Betsy Andrews’s story Good Morning, Jamaica.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp. uncooked white rice
- 1 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 8 whole allspice berries
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 6″ strips orange zest
- 1 2″ pieces ginger, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 cups dried sorrel (available from Caribbean Food Desires)
- Bring sugar, rice, juice, cinnamon, allspice, cloves, zest, ginger, and 4 cups water to a boil in a 2-qt. saucepan over high heat; remove from heat; stir in sorrel. Cover, and let sit for at least 24 hours. Pour through a fine strainer lined with cheesecloth into a pitcher; refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours. Serve over ice.