Stuffed vegetables are a classic summer food all over the southeast of France.
- 6 medium round summer squash
- 1 medium long zucchini
- 4 large ripe tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 (1/2"-thick) slices day-old baguette
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 lb. loose pork sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 cup coarse fresh bread crumbs
- 4 Tbsp. butter
Move oven rack to bottom third of oven. Preheat oven to 375º. Trim tops off summer squash and halve long zucchini lengthwise. Scoop out flesh, leaving ½"–¾"-thick shells, then chop flesh, put it into a bowl, and set aside. Put squash and zucchini into a large baking dish, cavity sides up. Trim tops off tomatoes, scoop out and discard pulp, and add tomatoes to dish. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Drizzle 1 tbsp. oil around vegetables; set aside.
Soak bread in milk in a bowl until soft; tear into small pieces and add to bowl with chopped squash. Add sausage, garlic, onions, parsley, and salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Fill vegetable shells with stuffing, sprinkle with bread crumbs, dot with butter, and drizzle with remaining oil. Bake for 1 hour.
Continue to Next Story