Supă Cu Găluşte (Chicken Soup with Semolina Dumplings)
Airy semolina dumplings bob in the fragrant, paprika- and caraway-spiced broth of this warming chicken soup, along with tender chunks of carrot, parsnip, and celery.
Yield: serves 6
- 1⁄2 cup semolina flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 medium yellow onion, 1/4 grated, 3/4 finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 8 oz. bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- 1⁄2 tsp. caraway seeds
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4″-thick slices
- 1 medium parsnip, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4″-thick slices
- 1 rib celery, cut crosswise into 1/4″-thick slices
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 6 canned whole, peeled tomatoes in juice, crushed
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped parsley
- Combine semolina, eggs, grated onion, and salt and pepper in a medium bowl until evenly combined; let sit until thickened, about 5 minutes. Using two small spoons, form dough into about nine 2″-long football-shaped dumplings; transfer to a piece of parchment paper, and set aside.
- Heat oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Working in batches, add to pan, and cook, turning once, until chicken has browned on both sides, about 12 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside. Add remaining finely chopped onion to pan along with paprika, caraway, garlic, carrots, parsnip, and celery, and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add tomato paste, and cook, stirring, until lightly caramelized, about 2 minutes. Return chicken to pan, and add stock and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, and transfer chicken to a plate. Let cool slightly, and then shred chicken from bones; discard bones, and return chicken to pan. Return pan to heat and return to a simmer; add dumplings, and cook, covered, until dumplings are cooked through, about 2 minutes. To serve, ladle soup and dumplings into bowls, and garnish with parsley.