These spicy cabbage pickles offset the richness of roasted meat. This recipe first appeared in our March 2012 issue, with Anissa Helou’s story The Land of Bread and Spice.
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. crushed red chile flakes
- 1 clove garlic, lightly crushed
- ½ green cabbage, cored, shredded
- ½ bunches dill, roughly chopped
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- Toss together salt, chile, garlic, cabbage, and dill in a 1-qt. glass jar; and top with vinegar. Seal tightly; let sit for 2 weeks before serving.