Top Pot Triple Coconut Donuts
Coconut milk gives these donuts from Seattle's Top Pot donut shop a super-moist interior and a gratifying crust.
Yield: makes About 10 Donuts
- 3 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> cups (15 3/4 oz.) bread flour, sifted
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> tsp. ground nutmeg
- <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>2</sub> cup sugar
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
- 4 tsp. coconut extract
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 <sup>1</sup>⁄<sub>4</sub> cups canned coconut milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- Canola oil, for forming and frying
- 2 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Whisk flour, baking powder, soda, 1⁄2 tsp. salt, and the nutmeg in a bowl; set aside. Combine sugar, butter, 2 tsp. coconut extract, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, 1 cup coconut milk, and egg in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment; mix until smooth. With the motor running, slowly add dry ingredients and mix until a soft, sticky dough forms.
- Heat 2" oil in a 6-qt. saucepan until a deep-fry thermometer reads 370°. Using lightly oiled hands, roll about 1⁄4 cup batter into a loose, sticky ball; pat gently into a disk. With your thumb, make a 1 1⁄2" hole in the center of dough; carefully slide into oil and fry, flipping once, until puffed and golden, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a baking sheet with a wire rack; repeat with remaining dough and let donuts cool completely.
- Heat oven to 350°. Spread coconut on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet. Bake, stirring, until golden brown, 7 to 8 minutes; cool. Whisk remaining salt, extracts, and coconut milk, plus confectioners' sugar in a bowl until smooth. Dip tops of donuts in glaze, then in toasted coconut; return to rack until glaze is set.
MORE TO READ
Our Best Pumpkin Recipes Celebrate the Flavor of Fall
Think outside the pie this autumn with these craveable cooking ideas from around the globe.
Don’t Fear the Dinner Party: Toasting Romy Gill’s Cookbook from Home
Recipes, tricks, and tips for hosting a Himalayan-inspired vegetarian feast.