Akin to Mexican wedding cookies and Greek kourabiedes, these Austrian vanilla crescents made with ground walnuts and showered in confectioners’ sugar are served throughout central Europe during the weeks leading up to Christmas.
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar, plus more for finishing cookies
- 16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 5 oz. walnuts, finely ground in food processor
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, plus more for rolling
- Heat oven to 325°. Beat together sugar, butter, and vanilla in a bowl; mix in nuts and flour. Flour and roll into a cylinder; divide into 48 pieces. Roll each into a sausage shape. Taper ends; bend into a crescent. Transfer to parchment paper-lined baking sheets, spacing cookies 1″ apart. Bake until golden, 12-15 minutes. Sift with confectioners’ sugar. Let cool.