White Beans with Sage
Slide your spoon into a bowl of these silky beans made with the best fruity olive oil you can buy.
Yield: serves 6-8
- 1 lb. (2½ cups) dried navy or cannellini beans
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 1 head garlic, split in half
- 8 fresh sage leaves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 3⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Place beans in a heavy pot with enough water to cover. Bring water to a boil, then strain beans and return to pot. Add fresh water to cover.
- Add onion halves, garlic, 6 of the sage leaves, peppercorns, and ½ cup of the olive oil. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until beans are tender, about 45 minutes.
- Cool beans, uncovered, in their cooking liquid. Strain. Remove and discard peppercorns. Transfer beans to a mixing bowl. Chop remaining 2 sage leaves and stir into beans, along with remaining ¼ cup olive oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.