Julian Cox, a bartender at the Los Angeles restaurant Rivera, gave us the recipe for this colorful cocktail, which takes its smoky flavor from pureed chipotle chiles in adobo and its sweetness from ginger syrup. To make your own ginger syrup, boil 1/3 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water with one 2″ piece of peeled and smashed ginger for 5 minutes. Strain and refrigerate.
- 1⁄2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 oz. agave nectar
- 1⁄4 oz. ginger syrup
- 1 tsp. puréed canned chipotle in adobe
- 1⁄2 lime, quartered lengthwise
- 2 oz. mezcal or white tequila
- 1 strip red bell pepper, for garnish
- 1 small piece beef jerky, for garnish
- In a cocktail shaker, combine lemon juice, agave nectar, ginger syrup, chipotle purée, and lime wedges. Using a muddler or a wooden spoon, muddle ingredients.
- Add 1 cup cubed ice and pour in mezcal; stir. Transfer mixture to a cocktail glass and garnish with bell pepper and beef jerky.