Invented by Mark Schiffler, the original chef of Wynkoop Brewery in Denver, Colorado, this Wisconsin-inspired soup has been traded and tweaked over the years into its current state: a thick, cheddar-based soup cut through with piquant Gorgonzola. Its present incarnation comes to us from Max Potter, who in turn received it from Colorado governor John Hickenlooper, founder of Wynkoop. A fan of the Wisconsin Badgers, Governor Hickenlooper serves it for good luck during basketball games.
Find this recipe in our cookbook, SAVEUR: Soups and Stews
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 3 large shallots, minced
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely shredded
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp. caraway seeds, crushed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 10 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 6 oz. beer, preferably ale
- Gorgonzola cheese, to taste
- Melt butter in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium-high; add shallots, carrot, and onion and cook until soft, 4 minutes. Add flour and cook 2 minutes more; add stock, milk, caraway seeds, salt, and pepper and cook until thick, 8-10 minutes. Add cheddar and beer and cook until cheese has melted, 2-3 minutes. Add Gorgonzola to taste and serve with bread.