Maple-Glazed Carrots with Hazelnut Crumbs
Chef Charlie Parker of Haven restaurant in Oakland pairs glazed carrots with oranges and cumin-laced hazelnut crumbs.
Yield: serves 4-6
- 2 lb. small carrots with green tops, tops trimmed to ½", carrots scrubbed
- 1⁄2 cup peeled hazelnuts
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 slices country bread, toasted and halved
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 2 oranges, suprêmed, plus 2 tbsp. fresh juice
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro leave
- Cook carrots in boiling water until just tender, 3–5 minutes. Drain and transfer to an ice bath; drain and pat dry. Pulse hazelnuts, cumin, bread, and salt in food processor into crumbs. Add carrots, syrup, butter, juice, and salt to pan; cook over medium-high until carrots caramelize, 10–12 minutes. Top with crumbs, suprêmes, and cilantro.