To make these crisp-crusted fritters popular at nasi padang meals, mashed potatoes blended with pan-fried shallots and freshly grated nutmeg are dipped in beaten egg before frying. This recipe first appeared in our March 2014 issue with the story Spice World.
- 2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 12 small Asian shallots or 3 regular shallots, peeled
- 1 tbsp. canola oil, plus more for frying
- 3⁄4 tsp. freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 egg yolks, plus 3 eggs
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste