Puréed Carrots with Orange and Ginger
This vivid Holiday side dish gets amped up with ginger, garlic, and bright citrus.
Yield: serves 6
- 2 lb. carrots (about 16 small carrots), peeled and cut into 1/2" slices
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. finely grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1⁄3 cup fresh orange juice
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Combine the carrots, broth, sugar, and salt in a 4-qt. saucepan over medium heat; bring to a simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots are very tender, 20 minutes. Drain the carrots, reserving the 1⁄4 cup of cooking liquid.
- Heat oil in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until softened and fragrant, about 2–3 minutes. Remove from heat and place in a food processor along with carrots and orange juice; purée until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. Add 1–2 tbsp. reserved cooking liquid to make a smooth purée. Season with salt and pepper; serve warm.