Simple roasted baby potatoes with whole garlic cloves are the perfect foil for a zesty lemon and olive oil emulsion. This recipe first appeared in the tablet edition of our Jan/Feb 2014 SAVEUR 100 with the article Lemon Olive Oil.
- 2 lb. baby Yukon gold, fingerling, or tricolor potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1⁄2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black papper, to taste
- 6 cloves garlic, unpeeled, lightly smashed
- 2 lemons, quartered
Heat oven to 400°. Toss potatoes, 1⁄4 cup oil, salt, pepper, and garlic on a foil-lined baking sheet. Roast, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender, about 35 minutes; transfer to a serving bowl and keep warm.
Purée remaining oil, 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, and the lemons in a blender until smooth. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer over potatoes; toss to combine.