Ignacio Mattos' Potato Salad
Ignacio Mattos serves his potato salad lightly mashed, with quick pickled red onions and a sprinkling of pungent marjoram and sweet paprika.
Yield: serves 4-6
Time: 40 minutes
- 3 lb. Yukon gold potatoes
- 2 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 1⁄2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced, soaked in ice water 10 minutes, and drained
- 1⁄2 cup canola oil
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tbsp. marjoram leaves
- 1⁄4 tsp. sweet paprika
- Boil potatoes in a 6-qt. saucepan of salted water. Reduce heat to medium-high; simmer until potatoes are tender, about 25 minutes. Drain potatoes and transfer to a bowl;. when cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and coarsely mash. Toss 2 tsp. salt, the lemon juice, and onion in a separate bowl; set aside. Whisk oils and egg yolk in another bowl until combined; add to potatoes and toss to combine. Transfer potatoes to a serving platter and top with reserved onions; sprinkle with marjoram and paprika.