This chilled avocado soup is a specialty at the Singular Patagonia, one of the few places to stay on Sena Última Esperanza (Last Hope Sound) in far southern Chile. Merkén, the mild and smoky regional seasoning made from ají cacho de cabra (goat head chiles), is available from online spice merchants, but you can also substitute crushed red chile flakes.
Featured in: "The Epic Food and Landscape of Patagonia."
- 4 ripe Hass avocados, peeled and pitted
- 2 cups sparkling water
- ¼ cups extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 3 ice cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cups small basil leaves
- 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 15-20 thin slices of seeded bread, toasted, for garnish
- 1 tsp. ground merkén chile
- Flaky salt
If you're looking for otherworldly travel destinations, there's nothing like the windy land of giants. Adam Leith Gollner on the rugged gauchos, inspired cooks, mammoth crabs, and endless beauty at the bottom of the world >
Continue to Next Story