Chilled Avocado Soup
As ethereal as its origins, this unusual, chilled summer soup is a specialty at the Singular Patagonia, an otherworldly hotel that borders Sena Última Esperanza (or Last Hope Sound). If you can’t find merken chile, feel free to substitute with red pepper flakes.
Featured in: The Epic Food and Landscape of Patagonia
- 4 ripe Hass avocados
- 2 cups sparkling water
- 1⁄4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 3 ice cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup small basil leaves
- 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- 15-20 thin slices of seeded bread, toasted, for serving
- 1 tsp. merkén chile
- Sea salt
- Cut the flesh of one avocado into cubes and set aside. Scoop the flesh from the remaining avocados and put it in a blender with the sparkling water, olive oil, and ice. Blend until smooth, then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide the chilled soup between 4 bowls and garnish with avocado cubes, basil, radishes, and toasts. Sprinkle with merkén, more olive oil, and sea salt immediately before serving.