Chef Jessica Largey gave us the recipe for this verdant pesto, a combination of blanched fresh fava beans, Marcona almonds, anchovies, garlic, and mint. It makes a great spring appetizer served atop crostini.
What You Will Need
- 2 lb. fresh fava beans in their pods
- Kosher salt
- 2 tbsp. Marcona almonds, roughly chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets in oil, roughly chopped
- 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp. Agrumato lemon oil
- 1⁄4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1⁄4 cup loosely packed mint leaves, thinly sliced
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon, plus 2 Tbsp. juice
- Shuck the fava beans from their pods and then peel off and discard their shells. You should have about 2 cups cleaned fava beans.
- In a medium saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook the fava beans until bright green, 30 seconds. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to a bowl of ice water and let sit until chilled, 1 minute. Drain and roughly chop the fava beans.
- In a mortar, pound the almonds, anchovies, and garlic until evenly combined, then add 2 tablespoons of the lemon oil to loosen the mixture. Add the reserved fava beans and mash into a coarse purée. Stir in the remaining 4 tablespoons lemon oil, the parmesan, mint, and lemon zest and juice. Season with salt and serve.