This update of the classic Japanese Cocktail, from bartender Chaim Dauermann of The Up & Up, was inspired by the contents of SAVEUR’s inaugural issue 21 years ago, which contained, among other things, a large feature on mole. The drink takes cues from mole’s combination of smoky, sweet flavors, incorporating mezcal, sherry, dark rum, and cognac.
Featured in: 21 Cocktails for our 21st Birthday
- 1 1⁄2 oz. cognac, preferably Remy Martin 1738
- 1⁄2 oz. orgeat
- 1⁄4 oz. dark rum, preferably Cruzan Black Strap
- 1⁄4 oz. mezcal, preferably Del maguey Chichicapa
- 1⁄4 oz. sherry, preferably Pedro Ximenez
- 3⁄4 oz. beer, preferably IPA
- Grapefruit peel, for garnish
- Combine cognac, orgeat, rum, mezcal, and sherry in a cocktail shaker filled with ice; stir, then strain into a chilled rocks glass filled with ice and top with beer. Garnish with the grapefruit peel.