We asked Elad Zvi and Gabriel Orta, bartenders at The Broken Shaker in Miami, to create a cocktail for SAVEUR’s 21st birthday. They obliged with an elevated twist on a classic vodka-cranberry using housemade cranberry vinegar—because nothing screams 21 like vodka and cranberry juice.
Featured in: 21 Cocktails for our 21st Birthday
For the Cranberry Vinegar
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup rice wine vinegar
For the Cocktail
- 1 1⁄2 oz. vodka
- 3⁄4 oz. cranberry vinegar
- 1⁄2 oz. Cocchi Americano
- 1⁄2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- Fresh cranberries, for garnish
- Lemon wheel, for garnish
- To make the vinegar, combine cranberries, sugar, vinegar, and 3⁄4 cup water in a small saucepan over low heat; stir until the sugar dissolves and the cranberries burst, 8-10 minutes. Refrigerate, covered, for 4 days, then strain out cranberries, reserving for another use. Vinegar will last, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks.
- To make the cocktail, combine vodka, vinegar, Cocchi Americano, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice; shake vigorously and strain into a rocks glass with one large ice cube in it. Garnish with fresh cranberries and a lemon wheel.