Spiced Apple Punch
At Irene’s in Austin, Texas, master sommelier Craig Collins prepares an autumn favorite with apple cider, spiced simple syrup, Gran Marnier, and brandy.
Yield: makes 12 cocktails
Time: 30 minutes
For the fall spice turbinado simple syrup:
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 10 whole cloves
- 10 whole allspice
For the punch:
- 1 1⁄4 cups fresh lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup fall spice turbinado simple syrup
- 2 1⁄4 cups brandy, preferably Torres 5 Imperial
- 2⁄3 cup Gran Gala or Grand Marnier
- 1 3⁄4 cups hard apple cider, preferably Louisburg
- 2⁄3 cup ginger beer, preferably Fever Tree or Reed's
- Lemon wheels, for garnish
- Apple slices, for garnish
- Cinnamon sticks, for garnish
- Make the fall spice turbinado simple syrup: In a small pot, combine turbinado sugar, 1 cup water, cinnamon stick, cloves, and whole allspice. Bring to a boil until sugar has dissolved. Let cool and strain before using.
- Combine lemon juice, simple syrup, brandy, and Gran Gala or Grand Marnier in a large punch bowl.
- Immediately before serving, add a few generous scoops of ice and top with hard cider and ginger beer. Garnish with lemon wheels, apple slices, and cinnamon sticks.