Gin, lemongrass, ginger, and kaffir lime combine in this savory cocktail from Alex Straus of LA's E.P. & L.P., who created it to complement the restaurant's spicier dishes.
Featured in: 21 Cocktails for our 21st Birthday
For the Lemongrass Ginger Syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, smashed and sliced
- 1 (2-inch) piece of ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
For the Cocktail
- 1 1⁄2 oz. gin, preferably Rutte
- 3⁄4 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 oz. lemongrass-ginger syrup
- 1⁄2 oz. Imbue Bittersweet vermouth
- Lemon twist, for garnish
To make the syrup, combine sugar, kaffir ime leaves, lemongrass, ginger, and 1⁄2 cup water in a small saucepan over medium-high; cook until sugar has dissolved, about 3 minutes. Let sit for 2 hours, then strain.
To make the cocktail, combine gin, lemon juice, syrup, and vermouth in a cocktail shaker filled with ice; shake vigorously, then strain into a chilled coupe glass and garnish with a lemon twist.