Apple & Sausage Macaroni and Cheese
The crisp flavors of fall are accentuated in this simple and satisfying macaroni and cheese.
Yield: serves 6
Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1 lb. pork sausages (about 4), casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 tbsp. minced fresh sage
- 1 lb. red apples (about 3), cored and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 cup Angry Orchard Stone Dry Apple Cider
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 8 oz. mild cheddar cheese
- 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb. Lumache pasta, or elbows
- Heat oven to 375°. Melt butter in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high; add onion and cook 2 minutes. Add sausage and cook, using a wooden spoon to break up into small pieces until browned, 10-12 minutes. Add sage and apple and cook 5 minutes more; add flour and cook 2 minutes. Add cider and cook 2 minutes, then add milk. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thick, 8-10 minutes. Stir in half of the cheese, salt, and pepper and cook until cheese has melted.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until halfway cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain pasta, transfer to cheese sauce and stir well to coat. Spread pasta in a 9-inch by 13-inch baking dish and top with remaining cheese.
- Transfer baking dish to a baking sheet and bake until macaroni and cheese is golden brown and bubbly, about 45 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.