Agawam Chicken Pies
At the Agawam Diner, we had these chicken pies turned out bottom side up on a plate and topped with extra gravy.
Yield: serves 4
- 1 double recipe pie dough (from Coconut Cream Pie), formed into 2 disks
- 3 large skin-on chicken breast halves (about 2/3 lbs.)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. chicken base, preferably Better Than Bouillon
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled, diced, and boiled until tender
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- Roll each dough disk into a 12" circle on a floured surface. Using a 15-ounce 4" × 6" oval casserole dish (one of four you'll need) as a stencil, cut out 4 dough ovals. Transfer ovals to a floured tray and cover; set aside.
- Put chicken into a large pot, cover with water by 2", and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until almost cooked through, about 15 minutes. Remove pot from heat and set aside, covered, to let rest for 20 minutes. Strain chicken and broth through a sieve, reserving 4 cups of broth. Remove and discard the skin and bones from chicken and tear meat into 1"–2" chunks; set aside.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook, stirring, until golden, about 2 minutes. Whisk in reserved broth and bring to a boil. Whisk in chicken base, allowing liquid to come to a boil as you whisk. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 40 minutes. Remove gravy from heat and season with pepper to taste.
- Heat oven to 500°. Divide chicken, carrots, and peas between the 4 casserole dishes; pour 1⁄2 cup gravy into each. Top each dish with a dough oval; tuck in edges. Bake until top is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Turn pies out onto plates, crust side down, and top with remaining gravy.