Chef Gabriel Kreuther ofhe Modern restaurant in New York City heats the pizza stone for an hour before baking, giving this savory tart a crispy crust.
- 1⁄2 cup crème fraîche
- 1 cup fromage blanc (available at Murray’s Cheese) or cream cheese at room temperature
- 1⁄8 tsp. nutmeg, freshly grated
- 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 egg yolks
- 8 strips smoked bacon, finely chopped
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
- Heat an oven to 500° with a pizza stone positioned on center rack. Mix crème fraîche, fromage blanc, nutmeg, and salt and white pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and 1 tsp. salt in a bowl; make a well in the center. Whisk oil, yolks, and 1⁄2 cup water in another bowl, and pour into well. Using a fork, stir until a loose dough forms. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead dough for 1 minute. Divide dough into 3 pieces. Working with 1 piece of dough at a time, roll into a 12″ circle, and place on a parchment paper—lined baking sheet. Spread 1⁄2 cup cheese mixture over circle, leaving a 1⁄2” border around edge. Sprinkle with a little of the bacon and onions. Transfer dough (on parchment paper) to pizza stone. Bake until lightly browned and crispy, 8–10 minutes. Repeat.